Ever heard of chromotherapy? Neither have most people. It is the idea that colors from black to white can be used for a variety of therapeutic, psychological, and mental health purposes.
Dating back to the first millennium, this sort of light therapy has been used for all sorts of problems from mood to the more serious. Check out the 30 things you should know about the psychology of color by having a look below.
Ayurvedic Things You Should Know About Color
A kind of yoga, there are seven chakras in the human body believed to exist. See how the psychology of each of the seven colors effects each.
- 1. Purple : This chakra is used to treat problems involving the top of the head. It promotes enlightenment, revelation, and spiritual awakening. Physical attributes include soothing the organs and relaxing both muscles and nervous system.
2. Indigo : A shade between blue and purple, its chakra is located around the eyes. Another calming color, it is said to help intuition. A healer may use indigo to control both bleeding and abscesses.
3. Blue : If the color of the sky is your favorite, then use it to soothe both illness and pain. With the chakra located in the throat, blue also helps communication. Liver disorders such as jaundice are also treated with this color.
4. Green : Not just the color of money, green is also used for balance. Although we typically think of red as the color of love, green is associated with the chakra in the heart. If you have ulcers or an infection, this might be your color.
5. Yellow : Another entry previously suited for red, yellow is associated with blood health. Its chakra is located in the veins and can help both the digestive and lymphatic system. It is also associated with wisdom.
6. Orange : Having sexual problems? Maybe a little orange pill could help more. Located in the pelvic area, this chakra can help with problems of a sexual nature. It also doubles as a helper in the digestive area.
7. Red : Get more energy, power, and stimulation with this color. Its chakra is located at the base of the spine and can help heal the back and related issues. Ironically, enough it is also said to help in red blood cell production.
Colorpuncture Things You Should Know About Color
Similar to acupuncture, Colorpuncture is the use of light frequencies on the chakras to promote the body‘s own healing process. See the top uses for it below.
- 8. Meditation : An age old practice, meditation is used to calm the mind and relax the body. For color meditation, the subject can use only colors he or she finds stimulating. Another form of color meditation is to proceed through them all one by one to achieve results.
9. Breathing : This is another form of color meditation. However, the subject actually visualizes colors depending on the results they seek.
10. Aura Readings : A trained healer is involved in this practice. He or she will use an electromagnetic field to surround the body and produce specific colors. These colors, or auras, are used to diagnose and treat the patient.
11. Kirlian Photography : This involves using a high frequency apparatus to photograph energy coming from someone’s body. It was developed in 1972 and took 15 years to perfect. Photos are taken before and after treatment to determine success.
12. Puncture : The most invasive procedure, this is used in combination with more traditional acupuncture. A specific light color is focused on a puncture to activate energy. It can also be done without needles.
13. Trauma Somatic Experience : Developed by The Vogel Group in Houston, it is a short term naturalistic approach to negotiate the patient through both shock and trauma. It is a talk therapy that focuses on biology rather than biography. Conditions treated with it include anxiety, addiction, self-sabotage, and stress.
Psychological Things You Should Know About Color
Check out the healing psychological properties of these common colors.
- 14. Black : This root color is used in grounding, focus, and survival. If you have restlessness, addiction, or other similar problem, black may be the color for you. Wearing black jewelry can also realign your metabolism.
15. White : The color of virginity and all things new, it is also associated with truth and peace. White can help with insomnia and menstrual cycles. However, too much white can be a bad thing.
16.Burgundy : Not just the color of your favorite drink, this color is for those who need release. If you’re having negative thoughts, use the psychology of burgundy or magenta to release it.
17. Red : A man who wishes to be in charge should wear a red tie. Also, those who want to show vitality or strength can follow suit. And if you are obsessed with something, such as color psychology, try red to help it.
18. Orange : Are your creative juices not flowing? Then try changing your office space or studio to an orange theme. It also boots happiness and energy.
19. Yellow : If you are a struggling student, yellow could be the color for you. It helps with intellectual energy and can replace caffeine as a stimulant. Yellow can also help if you are feeling indecisive.
20. Green : Global warming advocates had something in mind when they choose green as their color. It is a joiner of mind, body, and spirit. Green is also the color of harmony, healing, and the Earth.
21. Turquoise : This blue green color takes properties from both. Associated with water, it provides a cool, refreshing sensation. An excellent choice if too fussy or egocentric.
22. Blue : De-stress and relax with the help of this color. Blue can also treat learning, lying, and fear. Too much of it creates negative and self centered energy.
23. Indigo : Associated with light, it helps with knowledge and dignity. Indigo is also a good color to meditate to. Gemstones of this color aid in personal knowledge and seeing things from a different perspective.
24. Violet : If you need insight or inspiration, look at something purple. It can also help if you’re lacking dignity. Violet also has spiritual properties.
Things You Should Know About the Psychology of Your Favorite Color
Everyone has a favorite, but what does your favorite color say about you? See below to find out.
- 25. Red : People who like red tend to be outgoing, impulsive, or even aggressive. Lovers of red can also be ambitious, yet quick to judge. A strong sense of right and wrong are also characteristics.
26. Pink: You don’t have to be female to enjoy this softer color. Those who prefer pink tend to be more loving and affectionate. Also indecisive, pink people desire security and protection.
27. Green : If you enjoy harmony and balance, green is the color for you. It also has various earth and nature loving qualities. Preferring peace at any price, lovers of green are also civilized and trust worthy.
28. Blue : A caring individual may prefer the color blue. It symbolizes compassion and duty. They can also rely too much on the opinion of others yet keep a steadiness of their own.
29. Purple : If you march to the beat of your own drummer, this may be the color for you. With a desire to be different, lovers of purple also possess a wit of their own. Not liking to be questioned, they are passionate in their beliefs.
30. Black : Not just for Goths, people who enjoy black also enjoy mystery. They are also adept at hiding both their misgivings and imperfections.
If you have any health concerns read in the above 30 things you should know about the psychology of color, please see a licensed and accredited physician. Although these treatments can be effective, they are no substitute for adequate medical care.